Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Japanese people!

Japanese people…I was thinking what is a definition of Japanese people.
Then I chose him!

This is Chris Grosardt. He is an American, living in Texas. He studied at Kansai Gaidai 2 years ago. We met each other at “Wisdom in west and east” class for the first time. I didn’t have any knowledge of philosophy but only have poor English, so it was really hard to keep up with the class. As I was struggled with the difficult class, Chris helped my English and studying a lot. He explained the content of a textbook and class discussion when I couldn’t understand both in English and in Japanese. He is a fluent speaker of Japanese, so he mainly talked in Japanese. He says the honorific words (敬語) fluently such as “Osoreirimasu(恐れ入ります)” and “Moshiwakegozaimasen(申し訳ございません)”. We went to sushi restaurant and karaoke many times. He usually sings Japanese song! I was impressed with his great Japanese and politeness. I always describe him as Japanese more than me!


Thankfully, I could pass the class and study abroad in the United States last year. That was great time to study with him and achieved the goal of passing the class and study abroad!



I’m surprised that international students are more like Japanese than us because of their manner and polite words. Japanese people have been forgetting those sense. I saw many Japanese people like eating food on the train and using cell phone near the priority seats. Foreigner tends to describe that Japanese people are modest and reserved. I think it shows how we should be as Japanese.

Chris not only helped my English but also gave a chance to reconsider what is Japanese. I am very pleased and appreciative of his support and kindness he has given me.

2 comments:

  1. You have a very interesting approach to this assignment. The assignment for the international students was to take portraits of Japanese people; for Gaidaisei, you were to take portraits of international students. You were able to combine both of these assignments in this post. It is also interesting that when foreigners become somewhat fluent in Japanese language and behavior they are referred to as being more Japanese than the Japanese. I encountered this very situation last night at my local izakaya... While such comments are probably made in jest, I wonder what they say about Japanese identity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I am glad to hear that.
    I always think we should learn Japanese when I talk with foreigners who are fluent in Japanese.

    ReplyDelete