Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Name of my neighborhood

I sometimes think how the stations names are called; Hirakatashi, Gotenyama, Makino, Kyobashi.....Do the names sound strange? Where did the names derive from?

I am living Nara city. I realized a name of bus stop in my neighborhood. The bus stop is named “Akahada-yama (赤膚山).” Why does it called?

As I look back to ancient times, there is the answer. The region of Akahada-yama traditionally produced high quality clay. This great climate for making potteries developed Akahada area.







When I was an elementary school student, I had a chance to make my original pottery in a handicraft class. That’s called “Akahada-yaki (赤膚焼)”, a traditional pottery in Akahada region. I remember that I had really fun of creating my own pot by using hand with mud! Akahaha-yaki has been inheriting in this neighborhood for generations since 1573.







It tells me that we cherish tradition in my neighborhood. The importance of history and tradition was taught to kids as a part of education. I did not realize this kind of deep meaning through playing with mud when I was a kid though…I think that tradition has been coming down not only by just a successor as an Akahada-yaki maker but also by neighborhood.  Akahada-yama, the name of the bus stop and the name of my place, links to Akahada-yaki. I think it shows our idea of cherishing tradition as a whole neighborhood.



2 comments:

  1. We often times take a name for granted. So your post about the meaning of the name of your community is especially interesting. In Japanese Sign Language, place names are often signs for the famous people, products or landmarks in the area rather than just the common kanji signs. So I imagine the sign for your neighborhood would be associated with clay. Thanks for this informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Japanese Sign Language is fun to learn. Actually I have studied a little Sign Language through TV. American Sign Language is totally different from Japanese one, I heard. It is interesting as well. I wish I could have enough time to study...

    ReplyDelete